Monday, February 13, 2012

Independence.

You know what is bittersweet to me? My baby's independence. His school recently had their great "Sleepover" for their graduating students. I describe it as "great" because it is a milestone, I feel, both for us parents and for Uno. I have talked about this so called "Sleepover" with Uno for two years. Telling him how fun it would be, how there would be a campfire just like the ones he sees in the movies, describing how they would be sleeping on the floor with his classmates, and so on:). I wanted him to be ready so that he would be able to fully enjoy this experience. Would you believe, we bought him his sleeping bag a year in advance :)? I had role playing scenarios with him too, like: what if you pee on your sleeping bag, what if you want to drink milk in the middle of the night, what if you miss Papa  and  Mama in the middle of the night, etc. He was  fully prepared and so was I, or so I thought. 

I had mixed feelings about the "great sleepover" as the day grew closer. I wanted him to go and really enjoy it and at the same time, I wanted him to stay. I just wanted to always keep him close and never let him go. I want to protect him from the world forever. But he has other plans, I found out. He wants to explore. To be independent. To try new things. To fly outside the nest, this time. I was a bit hesitant, and yet, I was so proud of him for spreading his wings so eagerly and so full of excitement. And so I let go ... and prayed, so hard. Prayers truly are gifts we can give our children, because God really hears us. And he sends His angels to protect our children and guide them. And for that thought alone, I had faith in Him and faith in Uno too, that we prepared him well and that he has grown beautifully and is now ready. And, my oh my, what stories he brought home, what fun he had!  :). 

I was wondering why for such a little person and for only a night, I ended up packing two bags for him and another big one for  his sleeping bag, his monster blankie, and Rockers (that's the name of his Dino pillow). Of course, Teddy and Dexter had to come along too. I packed his favorite PJs, his basketball shirt and short sets, his milk, his snacks - WHEW! Better overpacked than lacking :). And yes, the night before the sleepover, we practiced how to sleep in his new sleeping bag :).


I brought him to school at 5 in the afternoon and he could barely contain his excitement :)!


It was everything a Sleepover should be :)! Yes a bonfire :), games, hotdogs, fruits, ice cream, friends!


And lots and lots of goofing around! :)


Then, come bedtime. I commend the teachers and the Sisters for being able to handle everyone :). They are so good at it already (coming from lots of practice and experience). I cannot imagine how they settled everyone - but settled everyone they did. Uno told me that he was among the last ones to sleep because he was still talking with his bedmates, Jack and Tomas :).


This is how it looked while everyone was trying to settle down for bed  - Chaos! :). 


Some more goofing around :).


And this is what made me the happiest Mama - he remembered to pray before going to bed :). Even without Papa or Mama there to remind him. If he knows how to pray, then surely he can spread his wings more and fly to the highest he can ever fly. If he knows how to pray then I am  very confident of his newfound independence :).











  



No comments:

Post a Comment